Thread: taxotere combo
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2003, 01:31 AM   #1
Eleanor

Hi Patty,
I was on the combo from April to Sept last year.
Like I said, I had numerous bone mets and while on the combo had to have radiation on two different occasions.
I was 3 weeks on, one week off with herceptin weekly. In Sept of last year it was determined that I had developed sensitivity to the carboplatin and that was eliminated. I was on taxotere/herceptin until Jan. of this year but I also had developed sensitivity to that drug. I ended up with numerous pulmonary problems that have been posted here. Anyway, was off chemo for about a month, went to Gemzar/herceptin, but tumor markers were rising, was switched to Navelbine in August, but ended up in the hospital in Sept and have been off all drugs since then.
I will start herceptin today.
It's hard to pinpoint where the remission comes in to play. I responded immediately to the drugs last year and although markers go up and down, mine always stayed low. I had a PET scan and a bone scan back in April and they showed no evidence of disease to organs/bones. But there were a few areas of question under my arm and in the chest wall. My dr. thinks it was nothing and any tests were inconclusive. I just had a bunch of scans done in November and everything is clear, my tumor markers continue to go down and my lungs continue to improve. it's such a blessing.
Of course, I'm looking over my shoulder constantly cause I'm scared of recurrance, so I kind of take the news of NED rather lightly. It's nice to have a break, but I doubt I'm cured. It's just a matter of time, but I'm enjoying it right now.
In terms of side effects, well as I have said before, I am the poster child of side effects. I didn't suffer from nausea or fatigue, but I did have hair loss. I also had nail problems and lung problems. Basically I was one of the unfortunate few who experience severe reactions to the drugs.
But I will say that I would do it again. I thought it was a great combo and in spite of the damage, I have to believe those drugs saved my life. For this I am so thankful.
Patty, I pray this combo works for you and that you are able to tolerate these drugs. They are powerful, but they work!
El