Thread: Struggling
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2009, 01:40 AM   #18
Jean

Dear Maureen,
Oh those dark late nights which carry dark thoughts.
I think most of us have had many of those dark lonely nights...even those of us who have a spouse. It is still a disease that we deal with within ourselves. As women we not only deal with the dx. but worry about our families how the dx will affect them.

I call this "the dark what if worry thoughts" - well they come and go and is certainly part of the reality of the dx.
When these thoughts come (amazing how they will pop in)...remind yourself and concentrate on your treatment. Herceptin is truly a miracle drug for us.
You have as much opportunity for the treatment to work
so place your dark thoughts into that direction.

It is so normal to feel the way you do but as Debbie said we have choices along this strange hetic journey. We can stay knowledable about our treatment, work in harmony with our dr. (your dr. sounds great).

Sorry to say that worry comes with the dx. How you decide to deal with it is another issue.

As far as 6 months verses 12 months of herceptin.
I had the 12 months of treatment. If this is upsetting you I would ask my onc. to reach out to Dr. Slamon for a consult with your history and pathology for a second opinon on how long to continue herceptin. I am sure she will understand your need for additonal input. I have read aritcles on 6 months veres 12 months for early stage ...are you still in the trial?

Is the decision to have 6 months of herceptin based on the trial?

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.
Jean
ER+ 90% / PR-, Her2+++ by FISH
Ki-67 40%
Arimidex 5/05
Radiation 32 trt, 5/30/05
Oncotype DX test 4/17/06, 31% high risk
TOPO 11 neg. 4/06
Stopped Arimidex 5/06
TCH 5/06, 6 treatments
Herceptin 5/06 - for 1 yr.
9/06 Completed chemo