View Single Post
Old 04-07-2012, 12:12 PM   #25
jml

Re: Prayers for my sweet father in hospice~

Thank you everyone for your chorus of voices. Thank you for sharing you experiences.
Hospice really is wonderful, but it can be a rollercoaster. I'm going through a bit of a confusing time because Pop has been more alert since moving to hospice.He's not been able to speak since the original stroke last year, but for 6 months he was still able to interact with us, even mobile with assistance. Then after seizures & mini strokes in December, that really knocked him down to completely bedridden, non communicative, rarely opening his eyes.It was respiratory issues & pneumonia last week that brought him to the hospital again & ultimately the decision to move to hospice.
Now in hospice he opens his eyes, looks around, responds to the sound of voices and touch. The doctor & social worker reassure us that these are not signs of him getting better, it's part of the process, especially now that he's off all meds. And we all know there is no treatment out there for him that will heal him and return him to the life he would want.
I feel so confused about not wanting him to linger and suffer, yet not wanting him to go, because once he's gone, he's gone forever.
So now we just surround him with love, even laughter,reassure him that we will all be okay, that we will take care of each other, and that I will continue to fight.
Thank you again,friends for you love,prayers & support.
Aloha & God bless~
Jml

Last edited by jml; 04-07-2012 at 12:35 PM.. Reason: Typos
jml is offline   Reply With Quote