Thread: Survival Packs
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2008, 05:28 PM   #1
Bill

Smile Survival Packs

Hi gang! About ten years ago I read a book encouraging people to set up and maintain a "survival pack". With the posts regarding the latest hurricane threat, I thought I would share some of my survival pack info. The goal of the survival pack is to provide you with everything you need to survive through any type of crisis situation/calamity for at least 3 days, barring any catastrophic injury. The pack should be small and lightweight, a knapsack type. It should be taken with you wherever you go! You can keep it in the trunk of your car and take it with you on any hikes or trips down the river, or wherever you go. In this day and age, you never know when a crisis will arise, and you're on your own. I will list the basic components that the survival pack should contain, and you guys can personalize your own. Keep in mind- the pack should not get so large and heavy that it is a problem to carry. Mine is less than 10 pounds or so. Make sure it is a knapsack, so that you can throw it on your back and walk with it if you need to hike and survive to a safe area. I have what I call a master survival pack containing an emergency radio and a water filter system, but most packs shouldn't need those. My pack can care for 4 people for at least 3 days. Everyone should have their own pack. I'm going to list items, and you guys determine the amount. Personalize your own pack. Please make one, and if you are on any meds., stick at least a 3 day supply in it. If all this seems like a real pain in the butt to do, think about the last time your car broke down in the desert or you got stuck in a snowstorm or whatever, or lost power for a day or two. This pack could save your life, or a loved one's life. Start setting it up tomorrow. Wal-mart has really nice packs for cheap! I recommend getting a bladder-type pack. I have one and all my survival stuff fits in it and there's still room for extra day-hiking stuff. Here are the basics for any survival pack. If anyone wants to chime in, please feel free. Emergency poncho (99cents) lighter, matches, candles, small LED flashlight with spare batts., compass, survival blanket(tin-foil), glow sticks, 50 ft. small rope, bottled water, food(should be protein bars, trail mix, nuts, etc.) knife, leatherman type tool, Advil, Excedrin(contains caffeine-2 or 3 days without a coffee,tea, soda fix will make you wish you were dead) first aid kit, sheet plastic(for shelter),pencil, paper,fishing line, hooks, float, small mirror(signalling and primping) firestarter, a roll of electrical tape(many uses-repair and field bandaging), needle and thread, insect repellant, knit hat (skull cap or whatever you call may call them- the goal is to cover the head and the base of the skull where the hypothalamus lies, which regulates body temperature.) tin foil, string, clear plastic bags. Food, water and batteries should be rotated quarterly. Please set these packs up immediately. I want to read posts in the future about how these packs helped you. Don't be the ones that get in a jam and think, "aw, darn, I wish I had that pack-thing Bill was talking about"