View Single Post
Old 07-25-2014, 07:45 AM   #1
eva9310

Hand Slapped by my surgical oncologist 😡

I have a medical oncologist and surgical oncologist on my team at MD Anderson. I'm doing ac x 4 every three weeks almost done with that then perjeta, taxol, & herceptin for 12 weeks then surgery then herceptin for 9 months every three weeks.

I'm almost done with my AC and went to a consultation with a plastic surgeon that has come highly recommended.

My surgical oncologist pretty much called me and chewed me out. I guess she doesn't think I need to be interviewing or picking my own plastic surgeon and that I would just fall in line and see who she told me too.

Then she said (without even seeing my response to chemo) that her plan is to take at least 10 lymph nodes, mastectomy, expanders and radiation for 6 weeks then 6 months to a year later reconstruction.

MDA is aggressive. That's both good and bad but what the heck, you can rail road me and make these decisions for me not to mention while they are fantastic at curing cancer (because of a lot of over treatment) they are not known for gracefully putting you back together. Plastics is not their specialty so I don't expect that, thus I looked for a surgeon that I feel comfortable with and deciding what type of reconstruction is MY choice.

I'm not even leaning towards RADs or taking more than the 2 positive lymph nodes.

Does everyone have a surgical oncologist and plastic surgeon? My plastic guy said he would work with her but she said NO. He works with another breast surgeon who also comes recommended and does a lot of breast cancer but she's not a surgical oncologist.

Any thoughts?

Eva
Er/pr negative, her 2 positive
Right breast clear
Left breast, 2 tumors, 4mm & 1mm
2 + lymph nodes (the 1st pathologist said negative MDA said positive)
Apparently there is a grey area I don't understand.
Treatment
eva9310 is offline   Reply With Quote