View Single Post
Old 05-05-2009, 09:37 PM   #14
DianneS

Hi,

I began Herceptin in November, 2008. I believe my next one will be #10, and I am considering stopping. My echocardiogram is 70% and I would like to keep it that way. Since finishing the rounds of the toxic stuff (Taxotere and Carboplatin) March 12, I have just had Herceptin, and notice that my joints/muscles bother me. Also I get swelling and painful calves/upper thighs and I believe Herceptin causes this. My eyes are perpetually runny, the tear ducts are frequently blocked, causing red irritated eyelids, crusty stuff around eyes in the morning. Add runny nose as well.

Also, psycholgically it is difficult to face an IV infusion every 3 weeks. I can certainly appreciate those of you who have to have these longer than the prescribed year.

I am wondering what the thinking is behind giving a year's worth of Herceptin? Aren't we all different? I think I read somewhere - maybe on this forum - that in Europe they said that giving 9 treatments (or months?) is just as effective as a year of Herceptin.

I disagree with my doctor who calls Herceptin 'baby chemo' because there are no side effects expected! Excuse me!!??

I will be asking my onc about quitting this June, or earlier. I don't like feeling tired all the time and achy....but I have to weigh that against the HER2.....don't know what to do.

Also, in B.C. Canada we are not given anything before Herceptin or after, unless there has been a problem.

Diannes
DianneS is offline   Reply With Quote