View Single Post
Old 06-07-2007, 07:36 PM   #1
Muldoonmom

Smile Turning the corner!

I'm so happy to report that the side effects of Tykerb are finally starting to abate. The first time I started Tykerb in mid-April, my onc gave me my 5th Taxotere tx around day 5 and I crashed and burned with uncontrollable diarrhea and a terrible rash with itching. I went off everything for nearly 3 weeks and restarted the Tykerb almost 3 weeks ago with Herceptin only. Again, I had diarrhea but I could control it with Lomotil. The rash was very bad again - mostly on my chest this time- and it was terribly itchy. He gave me Periactin which helped considerably with the itch. Finally, yesterday I began to see the rash clearing up. I have only a few new pimples and the old ones are healing. And the itch is gone! Ditto for the diarrhea.
I am so relieved! My husband told me that he was giving me one more week and then he was going to throw away the pills (Tykerb) if I wasn't getting used to the drug. WHEW!!!!! Looks like I'll be fine staying on it for the long haul. After waiting so long for Tykerb to become available, I so want to be able to take it.
My bone pain is almost completely gone. I won't have another PET/CT for another 2 months and I'm anxious to see the results. Especially since my last PET in late May showed some progression in lymph nodes and possibly something in either the adrenal gland or diaphragm.
I hope that this gives some comfort to others who are struggling through the first few weeks on Tykerb. Looks like the side effects, which of course vary by the individual, do eventually subside!
Lumpectomy, radiation, CMF x 9, Tamoxifen
6/99 - Stage IV - 1.2 cm tumor in left lung, HER2 NEU +
VATS thoracotomy, Herceptin and Arimidex
2000 - Bone mets to left scapula and right ribs
Herceptin; Taxol x 9, Zometa
2/2001- Rt. lung - 6 mm tumor
Mini-thoracotomy
2/2001 - 12/2006
Xeloda-10 months, Navelbine-10 months,
Gemzar, Abraxane, Taxol/Carboplatin x 10, Aromasin, Faslodex,
Zoladex, Tamoxifen
2001 - Radiation to left scapula for pain managenent
9/2004 CyberKnife to right rib
7/2006 - Pleural effusion - thoracentesis performed twice
1/2007 - Pleuradesis and Taxotere x 5
4/2007 - Stopped Herceptin after 8 years (weekly).
Started Tykerb with Taxotere but stopped after 10 days
5/2007 - Stopped Taxotere, restarted Tykerb and Herceptin
Currently on Tykerb, Herceptin, Zometa
Muldoonmom is offline   Reply With Quote