View Single Post
Old 07-15-2011, 03:47 AM   #19
Lauriesh

Re: Cancelled reconstruction

hi Leslie, It is the center for breast reconstruction, with dr. Dellacroix and Dr. Sullivan.

I have only been there once. I met with dr D, had pre op work done, then had surgery the next morning. I was in the hospital for a few days, then returned to a hotel, with my husband.

After a few days, I went in for a post op visit, had one drain removed (had to keep one drain in for several weeks) and flew home the next day. I think I was there a total of 9 or 10 days. Sorry, it was 5 years ago, and the details are becoming fuzzy.

It is a long recovery. I was 38, in excellent health, and had no complications, and it took at least 6 weeks. The pain wasn't bad. I had 3 c-sections, and the pain from those was worse than this. The worst thing I remember was that I had to sleep on my back, propped up. Looking back, I think if I would have had a recliner, that would have helped.

There is also a stage 2, where they will add nipples and do lipo, if needed. I never felt the need to go back. My 3 kids were 3, 7 and 8 when I had the surgery, and I just didn't want to leave them again.

I am very happy with the results, and would do it again, in a second. I just couldn't imagine wearing a prosthesis for the rest of my life.

On breastcancer.org there is a forum for reconstruction, and you will find tons of info on NOLA (that is where I first heard about them)

Laurie
Lauriesh is offline   Reply With Quote