View Single Post
Old 12-03-2011, 12:20 AM   #2
Rich66

Re: Johns Hopkins Dr. Sidransky on individualized therapy

Very interesting.
Especially the fact that he mentioned sensitivity testing in terms of old school testing "on plastic" vs mouse tumor grafts. Now..I have been wondering for some time if/when/whether folks like Nagourney at Rational Therapeutics etc would migrate from 3D tumor cluster/sample testing to something that emulates traditional yet impersonal "in vivo" research using tumor grafts in mice...but figured the costs would be prohibitive even if possible. But more importantly, I am surprised..maybe..that he broke things down that way...essentially skipping over a major chunk of the work in that arena. Tumor grafting may have been done..as he said..back in the 60's for a pan ca patient..or currently in some experimental/trial fashion..but I have not come across this as an available approach. I'm happy if it is available..but not happy he skipped over the more readily available 3D culture functional profiling of RT or Weisenthal or the Medicare approved grown out cell approach of Chemofx. What gives? Is JH about to bring tumor grafting to the broader market? Again..love the idea if it is possible..but hate any concealment/distortion of the current options patients actually have now.

Perhaps further insight to be gleaned here:
http://www.personalizedcancertreatme..._June_2011.pdf
Rich66 is offline   Reply With Quote