View Single Post
Old 10-24-2011, 12:44 PM   #16
Becky

Re: Radiation Advice?

Well, I did have some trouble with radiation at the end of the whole breast (last 5 or 6 were only boosts to where the tumor bed was so it spared the rest of the area). I did well at first but the last 6-7 whole breast rads started me from just being pink to blisters. What I did and how I coped:

1. Used Biofene ointment which is "behind the counter" and easier to get with a prescription but I did find that "Fruit of the Earth" brand aloe vera gel rivaled this product. Aloe Vera gel - $2.00 a tube, Biofene ointment - $25 a tube.
2. I bought cotton bras. When worn inside out then the band underneath is the cotton and not the synthetic stretchy stuff - worked well cuz I worked during treatment and needed to wear a bra for work.
3. I bought cami's with a bra built in - not as much support but much more comfy for tender skin.
4. You will have to wash the area with soap. You will need to do this so the ointment or other product you are putting on is off during the rad treatment (can cause optical bouncing of the rays). Use unscented Dove as it has a moisturizer and is not as harsh. And no scent where a fragrance oil might irritate tender skin - my rad nurse recommended this. Ask your rad nurse about other suggestions.
5. I was very tired especially a couple of weeks into it. Rest - it really catches up with you.

If you are not blister burned but very tender, ask your rad onc for a prescription of Silverdine ointment. It is an RX but heals blisters. I should have used it prior to blistering when I was so pink and tender but didn't get it until I was blistered. If you are in week 4 or 5 and feel tender and burning (even though all you are is very pink), I would get it and use that as your moisturizer instead of the aloe vera or whatever else you decide to use.

It is not as bad as chemo - really, and I did burn and blister but by a week after the boosts, I was really well healed (since I didn't get boosts in that blistered area so it was 2 weeks of healing on that area). I still put sun lotion on my whole chest in the summer - I have to protect the radiated skin on the right and do the left so I match.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote