Thread: Chemo/GERD/ILD
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2014, 05:29 PM   #3
caya

Re: Chemo/GERD/ILD

Amy, did you have asthma before BC and your treatments?

I did not have asthma beforehand, but about 3 years ago I developed the main symptom of having difficulty breathing, mostly when exerting myself - climbing stairs especially. I went to my GP (terrified I had lung mets), but she did not think so, and after sending me for a chest Xray (clear) she sent me for one of those tests where you breathe into a long tube for various amounts of time. I could barely do the test. Test results came back as asthma, which totally floored me, but hey, I'd take asthma over mets. She put me on an Advair 250 mg. discus, 2x/day, but I usually only use it once/day. I just prefer not be on those steroids if I can avoid it.

I truly think the asthma is a late side effect of Herceptin, as shortness of breath is one of the many s/es when on Herceptin. I did not have shortness of breath while on it, so who knows? My oncololgist noted this "new" asthma in my chart. So far I do not have any kind of GERD, indigestion etc. I too love spicy food, tomato sauce etc., so will be aware of this possibility.

Thanks for the info.

all the best
caya
MRM Dec.18/06
3 x FEC, 3 x Taxotere
Herceptin - every 3 weeks for a year, finished May 8/08

Tamoxifen - 2 1/2 years
Femara - Jan. 1, 2010 - July 18, 2012
BRCA1/BRCA2 Negative
Dignosed 10/16/06, age 48 , premenopausal
Mild lymphedema diagnosed June 2009 - breast surgeon and lymph. therapist think it's completely reversible - hope so.
Reclast infusion January 2012
Oopherectomy October 2013
15 Years NED!!
caya is offline   Reply With Quote