View Single Post
Old 08-06-2007, 12:25 AM   #57
Gina

Smile More on Simian Line and Left handedness in breast cancer

Thanks, Mary, for sharing your line...smile...trust me, you are in good company and special thanks to Steph for doing investigative research and finding her hubby, like Patricia's has the straight line. Steph, if you or your hubby have kids, do they have the line?? I really don't know what it all means, but you have to admit it is fun to think about and takes our mind off less fun things... Sorry to read on the board tonight so many rough going side effects with some of the treatments...TCH, etc.

Special note to Sassy: Yes, my own family research confirms the 3 Reedy brothers came from Scotland and I was so happy thinking I had solved part of my geneology problem...until I learned that my maternal grandfather, who carried the Reedy name, did so via adoption. He was actually a Spencer by birth, whose father probably came from England and not Scotland as we once thought. Also, I went to Graham High school with the famous Eddie and Edith Hall twins...any relation to you??? We really do need to get together the next time I head down to Bluefield.

Anyhow, I was going over some of my other research and came across an article that does indicate left - handedness is more common in breast cancer patients (all types, not broken out by her-2) and I am pretty sure back in 2005 some of us discussed this and I had mentioned that I was left-handed from early childhood, but forced to switch in kindergarten although, if push comes to shove, I can still write passably well with left hand and tend to eat as the French do, with the left hand engaged.

So to Steph, I just also wanted to say that I think there could be some slight correlation between hormores in the womb environment and breast cancer. Also, recently, I saw an article that mentioned that even when all other genetic/social/economic factors are considered...there still seems to be a closer link to a woman's or a man's breast cancer via her or his mother's line and not the fathers...hmmmm.

Also, love the point about the Scotish/European/Native American connections...fascinating...

Love comments from any of you...keep them coming...
Gina
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote