View Single Post
Old 07-11-2011, 08:02 PM   #22
Jean

Re: Herceptin and leg and joint pains

Hi Diane,
Well the very ugly part of treatment TC is behind you.
As Brenda said those are powerful treatments.
It will take time for the drugs to get out of your system
and remember we are all different & special. So maybe your body will take a few extra weeks etc.

I have a question for you...when you were having treatment did you by any chance take yogurt? I would eat 2-3 a day to keep my insides running normal. Never had the problems with GI tract (at least it worked for me).
So maybe now you might want to try eating some yogurt even though you are eating healthy...but something in your diet is causing your GI tract to react the way it is and also the the drugs took their place also...remember all the good bacteria was destroyed also during treatment and this takes time to restore.

For the leg cramps this is what I did and it helped a lot.
I would eleavate my legs on pillows to help with the blood flow. Also - a good message on the calfs and foot would help me also. Warm soothing soaks in the tub at night before bed...along with a heating pad on my legs. It did help.

Ahhh the old runny nose...and the crusty nose.
That is from the herceptin. I had that the entire year of herceptin and long after. What helped the most for me
was neosporin cream - I would rub some inside my nose and the crusty stopped.

If you are not eating brown rice already maybe try that with some steamed veggies for a few days in a row and see results...red meat is a real cause for the runs while on treatment or when not on treatment way too rich.

It does get better and you are over the worst of it.
Herceptin is a cake walk compared to TC.
As far as hair growth...my hair took a while to grow back.
Like I said everyone is different. After TC it took a few months to see a good 2 to 3 in. but it does grow back.

Hope some of the above helps. Best Wishes on finishing the TC....
Jean
ER+ 90% / PR-, Her2+++ by FISH
Ki-67 40%
Arimidex 5/05
Radiation 32 trt, 5/30/05
Oncotype DX test 4/17/06, 31% high risk
TOPO 11 neg. 4/06
Stopped Arimidex 5/06
TCH 5/06, 6 treatments
Herceptin 5/06 - for 1 yr.
9/06 Completed chemo
Started Femara Sept. 2006

Last edited by Jean; 07-11-2011 at 08:07 PM..
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote