View Single Post
Old 08-11-2011, 12:50 PM   #8
BonnieR

Re: help me help her

How wonderful that you are participating in your mother's treatment. You are a blessing! And this may be an opportunity to bring the family closer together. Cancer has a way of reminding us what really matters in life.
On the practical side, I see your mother and I have alot in common. I had the same chemo regieme. As others have said, it is not as hardcore as the old days. But certainly not a walk in the park, either. But they have lots of medications to relieve side effects. And not everyone has the same side effects. But we all get pretty fatigued. Esp around the 3rd day after chemo. Very achey. Maybe nauseous. No appetite. So it is good to see that she has easy to eat food in the house. Cheese, yogurt..high dense calories. Ensure drinks.
During treatment itself she should dress very comfortably and in warm clothes. The rooms are usually chilly. Bring reading material and snacks, water. My treatment room provided sandwich lunches. You can stay with her during the chemo but she may doze off due to the pre-meds (benedryl) that are given to avoid any allergic reactions. Really, it goes smoothly although it sounds scary!
Check out the American Cancer Society website for all kinds of good, valid information. They even take phone calls.
Gather a team. The doctors, social workers, family, friends. When people ask how they can help, tell them! Maybe bring mom a dinner, shop for her, visit with her, housecleaning....
Important to have someone go to appts with her with a list of questions and concerns. And to HEAR the answers and write them down! She is probably shell shocked right now.
That is enough for now! Just start gathering information from legitimate sources.
You have come to a great site for help and support.
Keep the faith.

Post menopause
May 2007 Core biopsy, Rt breast
ER+, Pr-, HER2 +++, Grade 3
Ki-67: 90%
"suspicious area" left breast
Bilateral mastectomy, (NED on left) May 2007
Sentinel Node Neg
Stage 1, DCIS with microinvasion, 3 mm, mostly removed during the biopsy....
Femara (discontinued 7/07) Resumed 10/07
OncoType score 36 (July 07)
Began THC 7/26/07 (d/c taxol and carboplatin 10/07)
Began Herceptin alone 10/07
Finished Herceptin July /08
D/C Femara 4/10 (joint pain/trigger thumb!)
5/10 mistakenly dx with lung cancer. Middle rt lobe removed!
Aromasin started 5/10
BonnieR is offline   Reply With Quote