View Single Post
Old 03-27-2007, 07:34 AM   #5
Melinda

You go girl!

Hi Sue,
Welcome to the ranks of TCH! Love your attitude, thats what makes all the difference in the world! I started TCH on 3/2 and posted a thread asking about it earlier in the month. Here is the link so that you can see all of us newbies and senior members that have in fact are doing it or DID IT!http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=27287
IN case the link does not work, it started on March 8th (TCH SIDE EFFECTS)and there are many responses. I have just finished my second treatment and I agree ... its a very doable treatment and much less harsh than A/C. Feel free to email me anytime to compare notes. Everyone is differenet in their side effects but it seems that the overwhelming majority agree.... DOABLE. I have found that taking "prevevntative meds such as Anti nausua, Biotene mouthwash, maybe a tylenol for aches and pains, and of course Imodium, (I am a card carrying member) , will help you through what ever ails you. DRINK LOTS OF WATER. I personally think the worst part is taking the steroids prior to treatment. I asked for a sleep aid (ativan for me) to help get a goods nights sleep the day before and for two more days after. TO me getting a good nights sleep made all the difference in the world The steroids have a tendency to "wire" up and sleep is difficult. I tried Tylenol PM and it didn't cut it.
I scheduled my treatments for a Thursday. I go to work on Friday, and the weekend is for resting, mainly because I take a Neulasta shot for WBC the next day and it gives me that achy flu like feeling for two days. But heah, everyone is different. By Monday I am at 80% and today.... I am feeling great, except for the "metal" flavor that is in my mouth. Oh I wish I could enjoy a great cup of coffee in the AM but that will take a couple more days.
As for hair, I still have most, but its thinning quickly. I ordered a wig and a really neat beaded head covering from www.chemochicks.com
sort of hippy style (they have henna to decorate scalps as well). I will probably need the wig or art work by next week, but I did have my hair cut REALLYshort prior to treatment. SO I have managed to keep hair for almost a month after my first treatment. DOnt worry it grows back.
You can do this. For me the hard part was waiting to see exactly what my treatment would be, knowledge is power and it seems as tho you have taken the bull by the horns. YOu are in my thoughts and prayers. As I said before feel free to email mzerweck1@verizon.net
or continue to post. We can compare notes and take this journey together. Ther are a lot of us out there just starting this. MAybe one day we can all meet wouldnt that be a hoot! Support, friendship and faith are our cornerstone with this..... so charge and know that you are one of our sisters in battle!
Keep the faith
Melinda
PS the American Cancer Society sponsors a LOOK GOOD >>>FEEL BETTER PROGRAM in many areas that has a wonderful cosmetics program...check it out they give useful makeup tips and lots of give aways. I have not seen it mentioned on this board but I will post a thread to it later. Anyone else familiar with this?
Mammosite radiation completed 2/10
Stage1/Grade 1
clear Margins /Nodes Neg
ER+
IHC +2 Fish +
ONCO 23
Started TCH on 3/2 for 6 rounds of TC once every three weels and a year of Herceptin every 3 weeks -
Finished everything and now on Aromasin
Melinda is offline   Reply With Quote