View Single Post
Old 06-16-2015, 04:03 PM   #8
jacqueline1102

Re: Cancer and Trauma

Hi Amy,

I just had to respond to your post. First of all, I applaud you for putting the information out there for people on these boards. I also applaud you for bringing this information to your group. I suspect your group facilitator may have felt very threatened. Whenever a group member brings more to the table than the facilitator, especially on matters of research, the ego can take a hit. That being said, she needs to seek supervision from a supervisor for what was clearly her own counter transference issues arising. To shut you down like was in appropriate. As a group member you have much to offer the members and therefore your voice has validity. You are well read and highly educated. As you have read about metastatic disease I suspect you may know more about the latest information than many of your providers. Once providers get into a routine they can become rather lackadasical about keeping up to date. Your point about trauma was dead on. I will search for my correspondence later with these researchers. Two female researchers from the University of Chicago looked at the high incidence of breast cancer in Chicago. Closer examination of DNA showed shortened telomers which are very important. The hypothesis was that women who had experienced trauma (physical, sexual, emotional) and lived in high crime areas had shortened telomers. The weakness in the study was that they only looked at women post diagnosis. Did the women have shortened telomers before their diagnosis OR after the stress of this devastating news? So, it is being studied by PhD's. Also, in the land of mental health, masters and doctoral professionals can have quite the peeing (if you know what I mean) standoff. If your facilitator has her masters and you are bringing in research information as provided by doctoral people that can indeed be hit to the ego (hers). Hope this helps. You are a fabulous steward for wanting to bring forth information to help others. Feel free to PM me anytime. I know a little about these sorts of things.

Cheers,

Jackie
5/12-7/12 33 Radiation treatments
8/1/12 Started Perjeta along with the Herceptin
10/12 Scans said NED for first time
5/15 UWSeattle Vaccine Trial 3 months
12/16 Scans still show NED. Herceptin and Perjeta continue indef.
8/17 Taken off Perjeta;staying on Herceptin. Still NEAD.
3/18 Still NEAD
8/19 Now on Subcutaneous Herceptin
10/21 Remain on Subcutaneous Herceptin (Hylecta)
11/21 CT showed possible lung mets. Was told to wait and see until scan
1/22 CT shows continued growth
03/22 Lung Biopsy said sample was too small but nodules keep growing and IR is convinced that it is indeed cancer
04/22 Oncologist referred for consult for a transbronchial biopsy. This does not sound pleasant

Last edited by jacqueline1102; 06-16-2015 at 04:11 PM.. Reason: telomers initially spelled wrong
jacqueline1102 is offline   Reply With Quote