View Single Post
Old 04-15-2007, 11:30 AM   #27
Louise O'Brien

Prothesis

I don't know if this properly addresses the issue of "going without". I had a mastectomy on the left side only - so feel quite wierd going out looking so unbalanced.

About two months ago, I went to a shop that specializes in bras and prothesis. I spent hours in the dressing room and was quite exhausted. But, in the end, I left with a bra that was really comfortable and a prothesis that is equally comfortable. Luckily, the owner helped me and I can't stress this enough: you really need the assistance of someone who knows what they're doing. The owner took over from one of the salesgirls who would not have fit me properly.

For a time - it looked like they weren't going to be able to find a proper fit. The owner told me it can take minutes for some people - and hours (in my case) for others.

What I have now is so comfortable, I sometimes forget that I'm wearing it. It's not heavy and actually makes me feel more balanced. I could wear tight t-shirts and you would never know. It is working so well for me that I may not have reconstruction surgery although I will be consulting a plastic surgeon in June to hedge my bets.

It is not cheap though. Luckily, we have access to a government grant which paid for half of it and my husband's insurance will cover the balance.

I think though that if I had both breasts removed, I would go without.
Louise O'Brien is offline   Reply With Quote