View Single Post
Old 11-22-2009, 01:13 PM   #18
Becky

Re: How did you discover your cancer?

But... at least if you are doing BSE and find the lump you do feel as if you were giving yourself your best shot.

I did find mine and at least felt that at that moment (and every moment of every BSE prior to then and after then) that I was doing myself a good turn - something good for myself and my health. I figure it was better to find it at 1.9 cm (and one positive node) than perhaps several months later at 2.6 cm and 3 positive nodes. It is true that either way, I would probably still be here 5+ yrs later (or not perhaps). However, we are all told over and over again that our prognosis is better the earlier we are diagnosed.

So, I will continue to check my boobies once a month. I've learned the lay of my landscape and my new landscape to know if a new tree is there that was not there before and it gives my mind alittle comfort to make sure its okay. I dread doing it, I have to admit (because maybe something IS there this time) but I do it because I feel it is something I do for my health overall. After all, I've come this far and don't want a brand new bc to take me down just because I didn't even know it was there when I could have.

Everyone's different though.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote