View Single Post
Old 11-23-2016, 12:30 AM   #7
Paula O

Re: Update on Paula/Cancer Fightin' Words

SoCalGal asked:

Are they sure it was the herceptin you reacted to?

Do you start with that as opposed to the taxol?

Yes, I got the pre-meds first, then Herceptin was given next, followed by Taxol later. It's great that with adaptations in the pre-meds and titration you've been able to tolerate the Herceptin fine, SoCalGal. I'm glad.

I found this at http://chemocare.com/chemotherapy/dr...herceptin.aspx

The following side effects are common (occurring in greater than 30%) for patients taking trastuzumab. The frequency of side effects reported is based on single agent trastuzumab:

During the first infusion of this trastuzumab, you may develop chills or a fever. Your health care provider might prescribe medicine to prevent or treat these symptoms.

My temp went to 100.8 during the shaking chills which started about 20 minutes into the Herceptin drip. I was a bit surprised because I never had any kind of reaction during the year I took it in the past. My medical team was able to deal with it quickly without further incident and I was able to finish the infusion. Hopefully it'll just be a one time thing with the loading dose and no big deal with the addition of another pre-med and slow infusion.
Paula O is offline   Reply With Quote