View Single Post
Old 09-05-2013, 11:51 AM   #6
caya

Re: Happy Rosh Hashana- Jewish New Year!

Sarah, the Jewish calendar is lunar based, following the cycles of each new moon.Some years are longer/shorter than others, that is why Jewish holidays never fall on the same day in the regular (Jan. 1 - Dec. 31) calendar.
The Jewish New Year actually falls on the 1st day of the seventh month in the Hebrew calendar - it is written somewhere in the scriptures to observe Rosh Hashanah (which literally means the Head of the Year) on this day.

It usually occurs in Sept. or early October, a time of harvest, back to school, etc. - I love this holiday - traditionally festive food include apples and honey - apples to represent the fall harvest, and honey for sweetness in the coming New Year. Lots of other food, good wine, family dinners, etc. Rosh Hashana marks the beginning of the 10 days of reflection, before Yom Kippur - our annual fasting day, when Jews ask G-d for forgivness, repent for our sins, and ask to be inscribed in the Book of Life for another year.

I will ask for all my Her2 sister/brothers to be inscribed in the Book of Life for the coming year next week.

Hope this gives you a little insight.

all the best
caya
MRM Dec.18/06
3 x FEC, 3 x Taxotere
Herceptin - every 3 weeks for a year, finished May 8/08

Tamoxifen - 2 1/2 years
Femara - Jan. 1, 2010 - July 18, 2012
BRCA1/BRCA2 Negative
Dignosed 10/16/06, age 48 , premenopausal
Mild lymphedema diagnosed June 2009 - breast surgeon and lymph. therapist think it's completely reversible - hope so.
Reclast infusion January 2012
Oopherectomy October 2013
15 Years NED!!
caya is offline   Reply With Quote