View Single Post
Old 03-07-2009, 10:47 PM   #10
caya

Back from the Symposium...

It was a wonderful afternoon with Dr. Slamon, Dr. Tak Mak and other BC researchers who all made presentations of their work.

Dr. Tak Mak told us that there are 180 researchers working at PMH every day to find the cure. About 10 of the doctors who specialize in BC were at the conference, and of course the highlight was Dr. Slamon and his Herceptin presentation. It really was quite chilling when he put up the charts of survival rates of the different subtypes of BC - before Herceptin - no wonder we Her2ers were known for "poor prognosis".

His talk was pretty basic for someone who knows alot about Herceptin and Her 2, ( uh, me, thanks in great part to this wonderful site), but it was still thrilling to see Dr. Slamon himself explain it all. I approached him afterwards and he is such a gracious humble man. Many of us in the audience had tears in our eyes when the V.P. of the hospital thanked him for coming, knowing that many of us were Her2 survivors ,- thanks to him (I was one of the tearful).

He told us that one of his first Herceptin patients is 17 years out. I asked him what he thought of Zometa, and he said "good in the short term, concerned about long term effects." MaryAnn - CA - I asked him when there would be an update to the BCIRG 006 trial - he told me later this year, they are still waiting for some results. He told another woman that for Her2+ patients the drs. (in the States) are not using anthryciline based chemo much anymore to cut the cardiac risk associated with Herceptin, going more with TCH.

I also told him that everyone from Joe and Christine's Her2support group sent a big hello, and he gave me a big smile and "thanks" when I said that. He very patiently spoke to everyone who waited in line to speak to him. I happened to see him outside the hospital when I went to get my car, he told me he was on his way back to LA. I thanked him again for all his efforts.

Dr. Slamon, Dr. Tak Mak and the other doctors said the future for finding the cure is very hopeful. They are building a tumour bank at PMH to do more research, and I am going to call the hospital next week to get more information, I would be happy to donate mine.

All in all, a very emotional day.
MRM Dec.18/06
3 x FEC, 3 x Taxotere
Herceptin - every 3 weeks for a year, finished May 8/08

Tamoxifen - 2 1/2 years
Femara - Jan. 1, 2010 - July 18, 2012
BRCA1/BRCA2 Negative
Dignosed 10/16/06, age 48 , premenopausal
Mild lymphedema diagnosed June 2009 - breast surgeon and lymph. therapist think it's completely reversible - hope so.
Reclast infusion January 2012
Oopherectomy October 2013
15 Years NED!!
caya is offline   Reply With Quote