View Single Post
Old 04-22-2010, 11:05 AM   #67
AlaskaAngel

Red face Re: Breast cancer, and seeking advice

Hi Bill,

I don't think this year was the best year to try predicting the weather just about anywhere on the planet, Bill, including my little corner of it!

I learned that some assumptions that are commonly made about weight loss aren't true for menopausal women. I learned from my mistake, but by real life measuring. I learned that increasing total calories moderately not only did not work for me, but it put weight that took me years of effort to lose, back on again in just over a year.

With the steady long wet winter I haven't dropped what I had gained by last fall. I have stayed on a restricted diet with 1/2 hour a day of exercise and that kept me from putting on any more weight, which matches unfortunately rather well the results of the study that Hopeful posted. It isn't very rewarding to be hungry so constantly and exercise daily and and still not lose weight.

In the meantime...
For me at least there seems to be some importance to the balance of hormones that is related to the proportion of fats consumed in the diet, and possibly to exercise. Over and over I've had the same odd connection pop up, sort of a very slight Atkin's diet effect (but not anywhere near as high in fats or as low in carbs), where I'm eating a restricted calorie diet and by just slightly increasing the proportion of fat in the diet but still eating some bread and fruits and things like oatmeal, suddenly I've lost a measurable amount of weight without exercising more. Sometimes I wish I could be like a mouse in a study where everything is controlled and measured for a while, and have one factor at a time changed.

Rich's comment is all too true. While I don't have any other chronic conditions except breast cancer and a stubborn disposition, my joints can't take anywhere near the pounding that they could a few years ago, and with less muscle mass, genuine fatigue sets in sooner even with variations of the types of exercise.

Still plugging away,

A.A.
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote