Thread: Mets to neck
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2009, 08:59 AM   #7
Nancy L

I guess I have to be blunt and say that taking Herceptin for one year would be the least of my worries if I were in your shoes. Having Her2 positive breast cancer is nothing to play around with---it is one of the worst types of breast cancers. I know women who are stage IV, have taken Herceptin for over ten years and it is still working----for the women it protects, there is nothing like it. I don't think you could get a better insurance policy and I encourage you to embrace it. Of course, I must say I never had any disabling side effects and I have taken it for 4 1/2 years living life pretty much to the fullest. My mugas have been within the normal range. The risk of heart problems is really very very low compared with the benefits of this drug. I only wish that my tumor had not become Herceptin resistant. It is not enough of a barrier any more so that is why Dr. Slamon added Tykerb. Tykerb is not an easy drug to take but easier than chemo. I will find out early in June if the combo is working. My gut tells me it isn't so then it will be something else. Women like Sheila and I are trying to stay one step ahead of the next great discovery for HER2. Just this week data demonstrate that MUC1* (transmembrane cleavage product of MUC1) is a novel determinant of Herceptin resistance in breast cancer. Therefore, MUC1* disabling agents may have the potential to overcome Herceptin resistance, both intrinsic and acquired----very exciting.

I feel very sad for the women I read about on this site who were diagnosed HER2 positive, didn't receive herceptin and now their BC returned in a year or so. When it comes back, it is always Stage IV and it can't be cured---only treated. Trust me--you do not want this to happen. Do everything you can do now to minimize your risk.

If you haven't seen the movie "Living Proof", I encourage you to rent or purchase it and prepare to be inspired. It is about Herceptin and the determined researchers/fund raisers who brought it to us. I always thought Genentech was responsible---no they wanted to give up on it. Thank god for men like Dr. Slamon.

Your year will go quickly and then you hopefully can put this all behind you forever.

Have a nice weekend.
Nancy L is offline   Reply With Quote