View Single Post
Old 12-12-2010, 04:21 PM   #4
AlaskaAngel

Question Re: Obesity Linked to Worse Outcomes in Most Common Breast Ca Subtype

My older sister has the same weight and exercise issues as your mom, Becky. My sister had early stage IDC 10 years ago with just rads + 2 weeks of tamoxifen, and it has never recurred. (No way to know whether at that time it was HER2 pos or not.)

But she now has IBC and falls neatly into this ER+, HER2 neg group. She lost 60 pounds during A/C and T this time, and got no benefit per her onc from A/C. It was during the Taxol that Femara was started and she improved. Thus, they are unable to discern whether the Taxol also was useless or not, and whether it is the continuing Femara alone that has made the difference, (plus the weight loss).

She is not on chemo now, just on Femara, and I worry that as she feels better and better she will start to gain some of the weight back, instead of continuing to lose. (Her BMI is still way above normal.)

The question also comes up as to whether these numbers would be even more conclusive about weight loss if there was a way to separate out whether balancing the types of fat eaten (omega's) is also meaningful.

If proportionately more HER2 positives are HR negative than positive and they lumped all the HER2's together in this study, then maybe weight management makes more of a difference for the HER2 pos/HR positives than the study would otherwise indicate?

A.A.
IDC 1.9 cm, some DCIS, Stage 1, Grade 3
Lumpectomy, CAFx6 (no blood boosters), IMRT rads, 1 3/4 yr tamoxifen
Rads necrosis
BRCA 1 & 2 negative
Trials: Early detection OVCA; 2004 low-dose testosterone for bc survivors
Diet: Primarily vegetarian organic; metformin (no diabetes), vitamin D3
Exercise: 7 days a week, 1 hr/day
No trastuzumab, no taxane, no AI
NED
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote