View Single Post
Old 03-26-2008, 10:44 PM   #1
Joanne S

Capsular Contracture Again

Some of you may recall the pain and complications I had last year with my tissue expanders. I had a double mastectomy in February, 2007, and radiation in June and July. And I had surgery again---a capsulectomy and gel implants in late November, 2007. After that surgery, my breasts healed and were even and soft, natural feeling for weeks. Unfortunately, my radiated (left side) has become a problem. Very gradually it has contracted, hardened, and moved up over three inches on my chest---the pain has started to come back and I'm obviously lopsided.

I saw my plastic surgeon a couple weeks ago. He is recomending a capsulectomy again, having the implant removed, and having a latissmus muscle flap performed. I'm not comfortable going in that direction as I had 16 lymph nodes removed from my armpit, I have shoulder arthritis on that side, along with weakness and limited range on motion with my left arm; and I'm very careful to follow all the do's and don'ts to help prevent lymphedema. And I'm afraid of any potential problems from having a latissmus muscle relocated.

I also don't think I would feel comfortable being flat on the left side and keeping the implant on the right side. (The right implant has moved some---toward my armpit.) Right now I'm leaning toward getting both gel implants removed and just being flat. I really think the difference (from keeping one implant) would really bother me.

Although there isn't a doctor in Michigan that performs the DIEP surgery, that type of reconstruction was originally my first choice, but I settled for reconstruction and gel implants. I'm considering going that route. I just don't know if I should wait to have that done sometime in the future.

I am grateful that losing a breast/s is not like losing a limb, and that breasts are merely cosmetic now. After all I went through to have boobs again, I feel disappointed.

I'm just not sure what to do? I would love to hear your ideas and opinions.

Thanks,
Jo
Feb12,2007...Surg MRM Left & SM Right, reconstruct w/expanders
Mar07-Jun07...Saline Exp
Jun07...Start Tamoxifen
Jun07-Aug07...Rad x 25
Jun07-Oct07...Persistent fevers-unknown origin
Jun07-Nov07...PT for Severe PMPS & Capsular Contracture
Nov07...Surg Capsulectomy, Gel Implants, PMPS pain gone instantly.
Feb08...NED 1st CANCERVERSARY!!!!!
Feb08...2 months post surgery Caps Cont again :(
Mar08...Stop Tamoxifen. Start Arimidex.
Apr08...Sudden high fever, Hosp ICU 10 days, staph infect, emerg surg, implants removed. Outpt IVantibiotics Daily x 6 weeks
Feb11...NED 5th CANCERVERSARY!!!!!
Feb12...NED 6th CANCERVERSARY!!!!!
Aug12...Spotting. Surg=D&C
Sep12...STAGE IV = RARE BC METS TO UTERUS ILC ER+/PR+/HER2-Negative) (Different BC than originally diagnosed = IDC ER+/PR+/HER2+).
Sep12...Stop Arimidex. Start Afinitor & Aromasin.
Jan13...MRI = no progression no reduction
Apr13...Progression. Stop Afinitor & Aromasin.
Apr13...Start Chemo: Taxol & Carboplatin.
Nov13...Scans & Pelvic 95+% Reduction. Nueropathy>Stop chemo start Fareston.
Jan14...PET scan = no progression stable.
May14...Pelvic > Bleeding & cramps. TMs up.
May14...PET scan = uterine progression :(
May14...Stop Fareston. Start Chemo: Xeloda.

Joanne S is offline   Reply With Quote