View Single Post
Old 11-11-2009, 09:52 PM   #16
DianneS

Re: Does Herceptin cause sweating?

hi yorkiegirl,

My understanding of the ER+ or ER- is this:

If your estrogen cells are receptive, or receive estrogen blocking medication/anticancer hormone blocking therapy, such as Tamoxifen or one of the AI's, then you are considered "ER+". If, on the other hand, the estrogen in your body is not receptive to hormone blocking therapy, you are considered "ER-". Some of us are weakly ER+ (me) so the Tamoxifen I am on will not help me as much as a person who has highly receptive estrogen cells that absorb hormone blocking therapy. Everyone produces estrogen, even when postmenopausal tho it may be in very small quantities. Our livers produce estrogen, not just ovaries.

Estrogen can be one of the 'engines' that get together with other cancers to make tumours. So blocking estrogen is a good thing if one has a breast cancer that is also hormone dependent. That is why your doctor does not want to give you MORE estrogen. ER- does not mean your body has no estrogen, just that it is not receptive to hormone therapy.

Since I am only weakly ER+ I try to avoid anything with soy in it. Don't take any over the counter meds that promise to help with hot flashes. Most contain soy derivatives. I still swear that's how I got the bc by taking that stuff in 2007...that, and using VagiFem and Estrace.

Somebody please correct me here if I'm wrong but that is my understanding of ER+/ER-. I do remember some stuff about cell structures from an anatomy class for nursing years ago and I know cells have something like little keys in them and if a hormone therapy is working well, it's like the lock for the key...disables the cell, thus disabling the potential cancer.

Also, yorkiegirl, hot flashes can and do last for years. Don't give up trying what may work for you to help you. I have heard that Effexor helps but I am unwilling to take more meds. Meditation helps, no caffeine, etc. And time!
Diannes
8/9 Richardson/Bloom test
ER+ weakly positive
Alred Score: 4 (suggesting I would strongly benefit from hormone therapy)
PR-,
HER2 positive +++
No vascular invasion
No lymph nodes involved
Surgery: Sept. 9, 2008 -Modified radical mastectomy, right breast. I chose to have a simple mastectomy on the left. Began Taxotere/Carboplatin/Herceptin November, 2008. Finished T/C March 2009. Finished #16 Herceptin Sept. 09. AI's and Tamoxifen made me sick. Began natural Tamoxifen which is Quercetin, I3C and a combo of other supplements. I am also a DES Daughter. There is now a link between DES exposure in utero and breast cancer!
DianneS is offline   Reply With Quote