View Single Post
Old 09-30-2009, 12:06 AM   #17
AlaskaAngel

diet and exercise

Hi Everyone,

Sorry for not responding sooner! I had my annual physical Monday at the same time my work exploded (naturally).

All of this has made me very curious to actually test out some of the different suggestions everyone has offered me here. I stopped at the fitness center and picked up their flyer, and talked with the rather nice and enthusiastic young man there who is being trained by his mother (who is the trainer) to be a trainer himself.

All test results came back fine and my physical exam went well. I had a great discussion with the NP, who agrees that trying to limit inflammation is meaningful, by exercise and diet. Having had no provider until now who has been interested in that, I'm glad to make that connection here. I'm cleared to exercise, although limited in that I still can't jump rope as much as before and I can't use the rowing machine I do have at home just yet.

I was disappointed that the report the RD at the Seattle cancer center provides to my NP was not available to discuss. I had hoped to bring back any comments with the NP about it to you all.

The NP also knew about another trainer here, so I'm hoping to check that out. I'm not interested in working out with machines at the center. I honestly cannot figure out how to think of that as not being entirely a form of punishment. Even doing exercises at home is a form of repetitive captivity to count exercises until done for the day. But the trainer I talked with is willing to evaluate me and then give me a few routines to do at home with simple exercise equipment, that I can mix with walking.

Since our private road is fine for walking and driving here for another month, I have decided to commit to doing an hour of exercise daily 7 days a week for the month of October, along with increasing my total calories. A full month should give me clear proof of weight loss, or not, with the extra consistent effort. IF the theory works and there is actual weight loss, then hopefully the trainer will help with exercise I can do at home to continue in November without having to walk or drive once our road is icy and slick.

If adding consistent daily exercise and more calories doesn't work we will find that out. I am also willing to see if Weightwatchers works, as I have never tried that.

I have arranged to be weighed on the same scale by the NP at the end of October, wearing the same clothes and shoes that I wore to see her.

A.A.
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote