View Single Post
Old 09-28-2009, 11:09 AM   #16
TanyaRD

Re: Breast cancer, and seeking advice

AA- Sorry for my slow response. It looks like you have had some good conversation here. Weight gain is frequently one of the frustrating, negative side effects women experience after a diagnosis of breast cancer. It is often difficult to lose the weight gained too. From the information you provided, I might agree that it is possible you are eating too little (500-1200 cals/day) especially if you eat the bulk of your calories in the morning. We know the body does best with a more consistent input of calories. When talking about recurrence, I often refer to the WINS trial which found that woman who follow a very low fat diet (15-20% cals from fat) had a significantly lower risk of recurrence. Now that doesn't mean one can eat all the fat free cookies desired and not worry as calories are still important. Staying above 1200 calories per day will allow you to receive adequate vitamins, like calcium, protein and adequate energy. You may need more based on height and weight. The important thing will be eating regularly and maintaining physical activity. It sounds like you are working very hard and should be applauded for your efforts.
TanyaRD is offline   Reply With Quote