View Single Post
Old 09-26-2009, 08:35 PM   #12
DianneS

Re: Breast cancer, and seeking advice

I am 5 foot 3 and weigh about 135. I went up to about 145 during chemo but after that was over, and I could get outside and walk the weight dropped and has stayed in the same range for several months. I am also 56 years old and have been walking on trails in British Columbia for years. I could never exercise in a gym! But for some folks that's ok. Being outside has the added advantage of breathing fresh air and not someone's gym socks and I end up going further that I planned on my hikes because I get into a stride.....I also take my two dogs for insurance against bears. Granted, there are many days that it rains here and weather is inclement but I just dress for it. We hike in the snow, it doesn't matter. When I lived way up in northern BC in 2004-5 almost to the Yukon (Canada) it was minus 45 degrees. I still walked every day...maybe a little faster to keep from freezing. Snowshoes were a great workout too.

The trick is to find an exercise that you like and will do daily. But I was reading that 3-5 days a week is enough - I think for an hour? Alaska Angel, do you have access to an indoor heated pool at a rec centre where you live? That's one way to keep slim. You guys have pretty nice summers in Alaska, and it doesn't get dark during that time (how well I remember putting garbage bags over windows to shut out the sun at midnight ). What I'm saying is, you have a long summer season to be active but a short winter day - are winters a challenge? Can you join up with other women and take walks? And no, you certainly are not too old to exercise....up to you whether you want to exercise daily. There are women where I live in their 60's who walk several miles a day at least 3 days a week, and I don't live where it's flat - very mountainous. If your doctor clears you for exercise, and you start out slowly and build up, you will find that you just 'have' to get out there and get those endorfins going. (That word doesn't look like it's spelled right).

Also, because I will eat the entire package, I keep goodies out of my house, and it's too far to go to a store to get more. Do your snacks tend to be cookies or fruit, or something low fat?

It's a struggle as we get older to keep the bulge away. For me, walking keeps me sane as well as a little slimmer. (I'm no 36-24-36 either, never was).

Dianne
8/9 Richardson/Bloom test
ER+ weakly positive
Alred Score: 4 (suggesting I would strongly benefit from hormone therapy)
PR-,
HER2 positive +++
No vascular invasion
No lymph nodes involved
Surgery: Sept. 9, 2008 -Modified radical mastectomy, right breast. I chose to have a simple mastectomy on the left. Began Taxotere/Carboplatin/Herceptin November, 2008. Finished T/C March 2009. Finished #16 Herceptin Sept. 09. AI's and Tamoxifen made me sick. Began natural Tamoxifen which is Quercetin, I3C and a combo of other supplements. I am also a DES Daughter. There is now a link between DES exposure in utero and breast cancer!
DianneS is offline   Reply With Quote