View Single Post
Old 09-26-2009, 01:44 PM   #11
AlaskaAngel

Re: Breast cancer, and seeking advice

Hi lizm100,

I'm getting some great suggestions here and still thinking ALL of them over.

I'm a little hardheaded. Becky was the first one some time ago who suggested what you did:

"I had clients that would try to eat less than they were supposed to and ended up not losing or actally gaining weight b/c their body would go into starvation mode. I wonder is this what is happening to you? Since, obviously you've worked hard on your own and understand the frustration you are experiencing.

Based on my experience, I'm wondering you're not consuming enough calories or the type of calories you are consuming i.e. carbs. "

The RD I saw in Seattle said the same thing to me. Psychologically, it is hard to understand that because I want to know the actual physiologic sequence. (It reminds me of my question, "If I am having endless hot flashes, why aren't those burning up calories?") How can reduced gas (calories) end up making my "car" run regardless? I've had the problem for so long that I am now actually fearful about adding calories, because when I gain a single pound, it takes a month or more of exercising harder to lose that one pound and keep it off.

I think part of that rather extreme fear for me may be exactly what you suggest -- that certain foods are particularly counter-productive for me, possibly carbs. I'm very disciplined about diet, to the point where even though I buy foods like corn and potatoes, and also make baked goods for my sweetie, I don't eat them. But I do eat such carbs as oatmeal, and whole-grain bread.

The RD I saw in Seattle recommended (based on the 1,000 calorie 2-week diet record I gave him) that I eat most of my calories at breakfast and lunch, with very little at dinner and that is what I am doing.

I'm a little puzzled.... if I am carb-sensitive, and I should be doing a low-fat diet, then that points back more to what Jackie07 recommended, in order to add substantially more calories?
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote