View Single Post
Old 09-25-2009, 06:20 PM   #8
AlaskaAngel

Re: Breast cancer, and seeking advice

Harrie,

If I looked as young and as nice as you do I'd probably be a fitness enthusiast too!

Sue's suggestion reminded me that the RD did suggest I do "resistance" training as well as the aerobic exercise of jumping rope.... Hi Sue... (are you over 55?) Does "resistance" training mean weights or machines, or both, or either one?

A key question here. How do you guys get past the boredom of the repetitiveness of exercise? The whole time I'm doing it, I cannot wait to be done. I tried using a timer so that I wasn't constantly looking at my watch, and that helped a little.... but by 30 minutes I'm counting the seconds, not minutes.

I decided to do some checking and share it here for those like me who are stuck, but healthy enough to exercise.

We have a Curves place here. They don't offer a personal trainer but provide a circuit of exercise machines of some kind and will show a person how to safely use the machines for about $56 a month. (Not including the gas to get there and back each day, which for me is 25 miles.) So, that plus a commitment of 2 1/2 hours per day (driving time + 1 hour of exercise + 1/2 hour to shower).

We have one fitness place here with a physical trainer. Initial session estimate, $80-$90 -- and to find out what the rest of the costs would be, I have to speak with the trainer (who was busy). Plus the same commitment of 2 1/2 hours per day, and gas for the trip.

So in terms of the average Joe-leen on the forums here.... neither choice would have been possible for me time-wise if I were a full-time employee.... or if I were raising kids...

I'm self-employed, and my schedule is not exactly my own (it varies daily entirely unpredictably depending on the antics of my clients). No kids to mind.

In all honesty the whole exercise idea would probably fit the most people on the forum if it wasn't expensive and took the least amount of time out of their day. And that, plus the driving conditions with the weather here in winter, is why I would like to figure out some routine I can do at home. So is it essential to have access to the sophisticated equipment, or is exercise something that can be done at home? I have the little barbell weights, and Therabands. I wouldn't even mind doing a session or two with a personal trainer if spendy machines don't have to be part of the deal. What do you think?

What would you recommend for caloric intake while my back is healing, to avoid gaining weight, Tanya?

A.A.
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote