View Single Post
Old 12-15-2009, 01:07 PM   #48
AlaskaAngel

Connections between excess dietary management and breast cancer

Tanya,

Thanks for the response and information. The insurance company paid for the first visit with the RD that I made on my recent trip but not the last one. In looking closer, on the back of the denial they asked that other documentation be provided, so I have asked my RD to work on it with me. I will be providing them with copies of the studies as well.

I am still hoping to eventually be seen in coordination between my RD and an endocrinologist because I think that is really key to working on the roadblocks I've had with diet and exercise.

As I see it, the real change that is needed most of all is changing the way treatment is organized and planned at time of diagnosis. As long as the only people who sit on tumor boards at that time are surgeons and oncologists and radiologists, treatment will not address the obvious changes brought on through those modes of treatment alone, that then continue to contribute to recurrence. We need coordinated care from the start, not just aftercare. We need endocrinologists and dietitians to take the initiative themselves in approaching this, and being recognized for the role of endocrinology in dealing more effectively with breast cancer prevention as well as at time of diagnosis.

AlaskaAngel
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote