View Single Post
Old 12-15-2009, 12:48 PM   #47
TanyaRD

Re: Breast cancer, and seeking advice

AA,
I agree with you 100%. We need a lot more studies like the ones you sited in regards to healthy lifestyle changes after a cancer diagnosis and also in the eye of prevention. I am always excited to see these studies. Of course, drug studies remain important but I believe these types of studies to be equally as important.

As a Registered Dietitian, I share your frustration with the lack of insurance coverage for our services. If you haven't already done so I would recommend talking to the RD and seeing if they will work something out with you if the charge is financially burdensome. If that doesn't work continue to push your insurance company and consider providing some evidence such as that in the WINS trial.

Lastly, I wanted to comment on the connection between breast cancer and obesity. The connection is real. A greater amount of adipose tissue, especially abdominal, increases estrogen levels thus the link to hormone sensitive breast cancers. I just did a literature review on this very topic last week and found the following.

Pre-diagnosis body mass index, post diagnosis weight change and prognosis among women with early stage breast cancer. Cancer Causes Control.2008 Dec; 19(10): 1319-28
Concluded that being obese before diagnosis was associated with increased risk of recurrence and poorer survival, corroborating results from previous studies.

WHI study results state "the pricipal options for the reduction of breast cancer risk in postmenopausal women are the prevention of overweight and obesity to avoid the developement of hyperinsulinemia, the medical treatment of insulin resistance..."
TanyaRD is offline   Reply With Quote