View Single Post
Old 12-19-2012, 12:03 PM   #6
'lizbeth

Re: Left Masectomy done 12/18/12

Linn65,

Glad you are through the mastectomy. Look at that, your doctor thinks you are beautiful inside and out!

I always ask for copies of the pathology report. You are still becoming educated on cancer.

Your surgeon performed a Sentinal node biopsy (SNB) which is standard of care during a mastectomy. This is to check for the spread of cancer into the axilla (armpit). If the SNB is negative for cancer - that is a better prognosis.

If the SNB is positive for cancer the next step is to perform another surgery, an axillary node dissection. I had to have this additional surgery and I was not a happy camper. I told my surgeon that I was still using those lymph nodes, lmbo, the poor guy - I was not an easy patient.

The pathologist found 2 more positive nodes in my second surgery for 3+/15 nodes. This information was used to determine the treatment for my stage of cancer: Stage IIb.

All the treatments are written up in NCCN guidelines and are the "Standard of Care" that doctors follow.

At the beginning of treatment it is easy to stress over anything and everything. That is natural. It can a very traumatic time.

And the standard of care is changing more and more. Don't worry too much if it seems you have a "bad" prognosis. It is difficult to put everything into perspective in the beginning. The truth is for most breast cancer patients - you have a greater chance of living a long healthy happy life than not. And if the "worst" would happen there are some great treatments with more on the verge of FDA approval and available in clinical trials.

Ugh drains, lol, not my favorite part.

Traditional Treatment: Mastectomy and Axillary Node Dissection followed by Taxotere, 6 treatments and 1 year of Herceptin, no radiation
Former Chemo Ninja "Takizi Zukuchiri"

Additional treatments:
GP2 vaccine, San Antonio Med Ctr
Prescriptive Exercise for Cancer Patients
ENERGY Study, UCSD La Jolla

Reconstruction: TRAM flap, partial loss, Revision

The content of my posts are meant for informational purposes only. The medical information is intended for general information only and should not be used in any way to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent disease
'lizbeth is offline   Reply With Quote