View Single Post
Old 07-10-2006, 10:36 AM   #59
R.B.

Thank you for your response.

Blame.

I apologise if my posts allow interpretation as blame. This is not in any way my intention. In life we are where we are - changing the past is not an option.

Control.

It is widely accepted that diet can influence health.

IF improved diet gives people something they have some small sense of control over it seems to me providing it is not obsessive that any sense of control must be good news.

If it achieve really positive benefit so much the better.

Implication of fats in cancer.

I am certain fats are implicated in the risk of some cancers and a wide number of other inflammatory based diseases, a number of issues of the nervous system including depression, as well as the immune system and general health. This is based on extensive reading of trials and the works of others. I would challenge anybody with the time to read what I have seen to come to a different conclusion

Gender.

Thanks for the compliment but definatively male, and always so.

Reasons for posting

Various including previous contact with BC sufferer, time on my hands, a need to be kept mentally occupied, a sense that the issue of fats is one that needs airing and the answers found, the implications are too enormous to ignore, and once you have glimpsed them they are not easily put back in the box. Answering questions make one check things, prompts new directions of thought, and gives one a sense of being of a little use.

Causes of cancer.

Human nature and the human dynamic. There is no "profit" (in the widest sense job opportunities, praise, conferences, funding etc.) in finding cancer causes, except where so obvious that they may involve the companies in a law suit. There have been suggestions that trans fats may be problematic for human consumption and yet the level of research on trans fats is moderate. For example a search on PubMed for trans fats and herceptin produces about 1700 for both but trans fats are consumed by probably billions and if as suggested they have negative health impacts the health / life cost will be truly huge huge in global terms. But there is not "profit" in researching / restricting trans fats and the situation will not change except by government intervention, public outcry, or sufficient potential medical downsides to justify the rsik of lawyers involving themselves in a group action. It is suggested they have no nutritional advantage so why are we conducting an experiment on global health?

I am not complaining about the amount of research on herceptin which is clearly making a huge difference to many women. I merely making the point that research and new products is "sexier" than prevention at very many levels - and the reality is we to give equal attention to both side of the problem cause and treatment. How that is to be achieved is another issue.

RB

Last edited by R.B.; 10-24-2008 at 03:01 PM..
R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote