View Single Post
Old 07-01-2006, 06:03 AM   #15
R.B.

Thanks for the kind comments.

RE Progress.

I am not arguing with progress in medicine, access to good food and clean water, shelter, a warm space to live and sleep, better working conditions etc. although many in the world are not so lucky.

I applaud and am amazed by the advances in medicine, including greater understanding and knowledge. Staggering things have been achieved and there is huge future potential.

But are those reasons for not keeping the basics in view, as well as doing the more exotic financially rewarding research. - If these papers based on the research and work of others are well founded, and it looks increasingly as if they are, the Omega 3:6 fats imbalance is responsible for a chunk of western disease (or at least removal of the ability to delay them to the end of life). Is it justifiable to ignore the basics and start 12 year olds off in life with the early forms of vascular disease, depression, ADHD etc because we are ignoring prevention in favour of the development of commercial solutions.

Is it not time to find another funding model that ensures funding for research but not at a cost of ignoring the basics, because ignoring the basic creates increased commercial markets for medical drugs.

Ignoring the basics to effectively maintain ill health in order to create a market to provide funding for more research seems to me a dangerous path.

The researchers in this field I would guess must have coffee room discussions in this vein

RB

Last edited by R.B.; 06-28-2009 at 04:34 AM..
R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote