View Single Post
Old 01-24-2012, 10:09 PM   #10
Rich66

Re: Must read: Aloe vera and natural cures/healing

There seems to be alot more to vitamin D than simply broad immune support..and there is a lot more study supporting using it. In other words, I haven't come across a confounding study where it appeared to increase cancer growth.

I forwared the study below to another researcher that showed inhibitory effects on ER+ cells and what I got back was perhaps the two ganoderma lucidum sources were smehow grown under different conditions. Made me think it's pretty tricky if even the same variety of mushroom might have different effects if cultivated differently. haven't given up on the shroom..just not onboard until I can shake off the following:

PDF (390.0 KB)

Original Article

Estrogen-like activity of ethanol extract of Ganoderma lucidum
Kuniyoshi Shimizu1, Ichiko Miyamoto1, Jie Liu1, Fumiko Konishi2, Shoichiro Kumamoto2 and Ryuichiro Kondo1
(1) Faculty of Agriculture, Kyushu University, 6-10-1 Hakozaki, Higashi-ku, Fukuoka 812-8581, Japan
(2) Chlorella Industry Co. Ltd., Fukuoka 833-0056, Japan
Received: 21 January 2008 Accepted: 9 July 2008 Published online: 22 October 2008
Abstract The ethanol extract from the fruiting body of Ganoderma lucidum was tested for its estrogen-like activity by using the cell proliferation assay (MCF-7 cells, human breast cancer cells), as well as the estrogen receptor binding assay, and pS2 mRNA expression assay in MCF-7 cells in vitro and uterotrophic assay in vivo. The ethanol extract of G. lucidum showed significant positive effects on the proliferation of MCF-7 cells. This proliferation effect is related to the estrogenic activity of G. lucidum, because this proliferation activity was inhibited by the addition of the antiestrogenic compound ICI 182,780. The ability to bind to human estrogen receptors (hERs) α and β of the ethanol extract of G. lucidum was confirmed by using the coactivator-bacterial alkaline phosphatase system. ER-dependent cell responsibilities were investigated by examining the regulation of gene transcription for pS2 in MCF-7 cells. Our results demonstrated that the pS2 mRNA levels are significantly increased by the ethanol extract of G. lucidum via an estrogen-like manner. Additionally, young rats that received the ethanol extract of G. lucidum (200 mg/kg per day) for 3 days showed a signifi cant increase (growth approximately twofold compared with the control group) in uterine weight after each treatment, which supports the estrogen-like activity of the ethanol extract of G. lucidum in vivo. It was concluded that the ethanol extract of G. lucidum showed estrogen-like activity, which may be useful in regulating hormone levels to treat related diseases such as osteoporosis if safety is fully guaranteed.
Key words Ganoderma lucidum - Estrogenic activity - Menopausal syndrome

Regarding Aloe and estrogen:
http://www.livestrong.com/article/54...one-imbalance/

i'm still trying to locate the article but I remember reading Dr. Larry Norton's concerns about non-selective immuno boosting in cancer patients. I know the use of G-CSF is plenty controversial and in a number of vaccine/immuno therapies, Cytoxan is thought to be helpful because it suppresses the undesirable components of teh immune system.
Rich66 is offline   Reply With Quote