View Single Post
Old 01-27-2010, 09:28 PM   #12
Rich66

Re: Screening of antiproliferative effect of aqueous extracts of plant foods

Well...besides glycolysis, hard to find much in common between glioma and prostate cancer...two cancers with controlled studies that showed efficacy of a ketogenic diet. The mantra for years has been the endless variations in cancer. I'm sure that makes petri dish companies very happy. Personally, I'm far more excited when pan-cancer fundamentals such as glycolysis are identified and there appear to be strategies as simple as doing less of something that can help.
Actually, I didn't suggest elimination of carbs. That would be pretty extreme.
But..
I'm not sure it makes sense to generalize in terms of "fruits and vegetables". Green beans and oranges may be a few steps from each other in the produce section but they are miles apart in terms of glycemic index. That orange is far more likely to spike the blood sugar and trigger an insulin release that would make the lowly green bean blush with inadequacy. Eating a bunch of oranges and potatoes is going to check off the fruit and veggie list as quickly as you can say diabetic. But..I don't doubt that having an overall healthy lifestyle that includes excercise helps control blood sugar, insulin and their relation to cancer. I just think those efforts can be undone by adherence to food categories while ignoring how that food gets processed.
I remember one of the quotes from a study where the researchers were excited by the great results. But they were surprised by how many folks dropped out because they wouldn't "give up the sweets".
If you have links handy for the studies you mention, post 'em.

More carb dogma here

Mom's treatment history (link)
Rich66 is offline   Reply With Quote