View Single Post
Old 01-29-2012, 01:54 PM   #3
DeenaH

Re: Calif legislature considering bill 2 reqre insurance cos. 2 pay 4 oral cancerther

I wonder how fast these things move along? I am in a major battle over insurance for this exact same thing right now. We changed insurance in November and were told that my Tykerb would be covered as a non-formulary (which it had been with Blue Cross). After the policy was in effect and I tried to order my Tykerb (that I have been on for a year), I found out it is on an extended drug list will cost me 10% out of pocket, and will not apply to my maximum out of pocket deductible for the year. I am outraged. Had I known that, we would have chosen to keep our old policy in spite of an increasing premium. Also, knowing that about the Tykerb would have put up a red flag as far as other drugs I knew I might be on in the future. Right now I am on Xeloda/Tykerb/Herceptin. The Xeloda costs me $315/mo and Tykerb costs me $350/mo. I pay a one time $1500 deductable for the Herceptin and it is covered at 100% for the rest of the year. It makes no sense. I don't qualify for any of the help programs because my husband makes "too much money". We have a huge mortgage due to a bad investment in real estate right before the market crashed. We owe more than our house is worth, so if we sold, we would be homeless. We have 2 little kids. Kids are expensive. We don't drive fancy cars, we shop at Costco, we rarely go on vacations. We can't afford to because of the cost of my medications and medical bills. I know there are others who are much worse off than I am, but it still isn't fair. Sorry to vent! This is such a hot button with me!
August 20, 2010: PET/CT showed no cancer in any nodes, and only a little uptake to the breast.
September 9, 2010: Bilateral mastectomy with immediate reconstruction with implants and Alloderm.
September 16, 2010: Pathology report showed 18/51 positive axillary nodes, 3.2cm tumor. Granual sized cancer found in the fatty tissue between levels 1 and 2.
October 19, 2010: CT showed several spots on lungs and 1 spot on liver. Liver spot is 2mm, lung spots range from 2mm to 4mm. We don't know if they are cancer or not.
12/15/10: Brain MRI clear
1/7/11: PET/CT
1/13/11: Recurrence in lungs. Start Tykerb
5/13/11: Progression in lungs
6/3/11: Lung surgery to get tumors for chemosensitivity testing.
DeenaH is offline   Reply With Quote