View Single Post
Old 06-10-2009, 10:06 PM   #2
jml

Hi Shonda~
I'm so sorry you have to go through this again. I have a similar experience - Taxol for 1st year, then NED for a year, then back on Taxol for a recurrence to liver.
I was just as sad/scared/mad about losing my hair the 2nd time as the 1st.
I remember thinking that since I already knew what I looked like bald, the familiarity was sort of comforting, not so shocking as the 1st time. Plus I already knew which wig styles suited me best, how to draw my eyebrows in without looking like Joan Crawford & how to glue eyelashes directly onto a naked eyelid.
You're right, it is "just hair" - but it's still very, very hard. Dealing with this diagnosis & this disease is so challenging in so many ways & being bald is like adding insult to injury.
I've been challenged with many recurrences over these past 7 years since my initial diagnosis & have just started Tykerb/Xeloda in hopes to beat back the monster, yet again, AND preserve my hair. Taxol/herceptin had been effective for me in the past, but I didn't want to go back on Taxol. Since I've progressed on Navelbine/Herceptin and on Gemzar/Herceptin, I'm running out of 'hair-preserving'options.
I'm hoping & praying that this combo will knock the monster out cold for a long, long time.
Hang in there.
Keep the Faith~

Jessica

ps-I do have a friend that didn't lose her hair while on Taxol BUT she was pregnant while on chemo-which is dreadful & terrifying in its own right!
jml is offline   Reply With Quote