View Single Post
Old 12-19-2007, 05:28 PM   #17
Lani

Steph N see my "wouldn't it be loverly" post on the support group bd

NSAIDs are both antiaromatase and antiangiogenic

Dr. David Feldman at Stanford had a clinical trial where he gave very large doses of vitamin D (large enough to cause kidney stones, but given in a course fashion time-wise that did not) plus Naprosyn (same ingredient as in Aleve). He got the idea as preclinically this decreased the growth of prostate cancer cells by more than 95%. WHEN given in men with METASTATIC (but mild) prostate cancer, the men's PSA stayed down as long as they stayed on the treatment. As no drug company funded the trial (nothing to make money on) they had to stop it and the men's PSAs went up when they stopped.

Last I heard, researchers at Stanford were trying too start a similar trial in breast cancer ie, vitamin D and NSAIDs.

I have heard a breast surgeon from MD Anderson, Anthony Lucci, expound on the NSAIDs vs breast cancer an area of interest in his research. Because of the problems w cox2 specific inhibitors he suggested NSAIDs.

This is not to suggest anyone take these drugs--I am not qualified to make that suggestion. Sounds like you asked your treating physician--something which never hurts.
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote