View Single Post
Old 05-08-2015, 08:30 AM   #668
Cif

Re: Please post your two cents on Herceptin "side effects" real or perceived!

I was able to eat ALOT while on Herceptin, in fact since I could not sleep I ate at 2:30, 4:00, etc. to keep weight on (only part of whole ordeal that I liked). Had a month and a half off of everything between last Herceptin and tamoxifen, then once started tamoxifen I had to change cloths and sheets throughout night, and could gain 12+ pounds overnight (diet was down to 800 a day, no carbs, no cholesterol, basically not healthy just greens and sardines). I restricted fluid intake to 2 cups a day and lost the weight quickly with several sweat producing workouts a day. But even 6 oz of watermelon would result in 10 pound gain within hours. So I attribute it all to tamoxifen. I changed my tamoxife to 10mg am and 10 pm (split daily dose into 2 halves a day) and the weight over a few weeks melted off but still NO CARBS and still restrict fluid. I have been off tamoxifen for a week in prep for a surgery and I again can eat whatever I want, lost 12 pounds in a few days without trying, and SLEEP at night. The cruel part is nobody tells you that once lashes, hair, eyebrows grow back that you nearly lose them all again every three months (for how long this goes for I don't know, but top of my head and comb looks like I'm on chemo again.) Yes, folks can say that is due to the diet/fluid restrictions I had myself on to maintain weight, but it was done within nutrition guidelines and watchful eye. So between now and 2 weeks after surgery I'm going to eat out (but healthy) and enjoy this window of NORMAL. Co-survivors I asked also had the weight gain with Herceptin, but then again they didn't get the incredible near wheelchair needed pain and such from it either like I did, in fact I'm still trying to get brain, spelling, math, balance, etc. back. Weight gain, hair, nails is NOT from postmenopausal stuff ... it IS THE MEDS.
Cif is offline   Reply With Quote