View Single Post
Old 12-21-2010, 12:11 AM   #3
DancerDonna

Re: New research on herceptin?

Thanks for the good vibes, Jackie. I had a mammogram and the radiologist recommended it be repeated in 6 mo. instead of a year because he saw a small patch of fatty necrosis. I asked for a biopsy the next day. The radiologist said he wanted me to be able to sleep the next 6 mo. I told him I wasn't thinking about sleep; I was thinking I could have metastatic cancer in 6 mo.

The biopsy actually obliterated the 1 mm tumor; no more of it was found by the lab in my breast. But one surgical oncologist I saw when I was doc shopping (I had DIEP reconstruction in Memphis; Nashville doesn't have any DIEP plastic surgeons.) told me he'd done one mastectomy in which a woman had a 2 mm tumor, but 4 positive lymph nodes.

I am still taking arimadex, an aromotase inhibitor, from the first occurrence. Yes, I have sleeves and also gloves. I've had lymphedema since a year after the first occurrence. I lost only three lymph nodes with a sentinel node biopsy, but my nipple started leaking seroma 10 months after my lumpectomy. A month later, the breast had an infection. One month after that, I had lymphedema in both my arm and hand.

In addition to wearing a sleeve and glove, I also have a Reid sleeve for night wear. It has about a dozen velcro straps on it and came with a gauge to reset them. Wearing it is similar to the type of wrap that a lymphedema physical therapist will do to help control swelling.

Best wishes and blessings to you.
stage IIA, L. breast 1.6 cm ductal carcinoma, E+, Pr+, HER2+, 5/12/05; lumpectomy, chemo: adriamycin & cytoxin 4 x 3 wk., taxol 12 x 1 wk., herceptin 1 yr., rads, arimadex started 2/06 & still taking; sentinel node biopsy: 1st node had 1.5 cm tumor broken out of encapsulation & 2nd had microscopic cells, 3rd was clear. Lymphedema in L. arm & hand 6/06 caused by breast infection caused by breast leaking seroma thru nipple.
New ductal carcinoma tumor 6/21/10 in l. breast again with insitu. Size of tumor estimated at 1 mm from biopsy on 6/21 & breast MRI on 6/25. HER2+ again but only 5% E+ & Pr-. Mastectomy & SIEA or DIEP flap procedure with another sentinel node biopsy planned for early Sept.
DancerDonna is offline   Reply With Quote