View Single Post
Old 10-16-2013, 04:57 PM   #12
sassy

Re: Legs are Healing

I've been able to walk on a very limited basis.no more than 25 yards at a time, not on any uneven surface---etc. The fear was I would further injure or simply break my legs. Orthopedist said I was actually lucky that I realized something was going on--most people don't realize it until they actually break a leg--and that would mean rods! So now I've been turned loose to walk and not just be a total slug! Lost a lot of muscle tone. Still just have to be very careful of any impact.

I understand your comments Laurel. The strengthening only occurs on the outside. In my case the culprit was Zometa, given to both reduce the incidence of bone mets and to build bone density. For me, I did have an increase in bone density after starting Zometa, and there is no way to know what the effect on reduction of bone mets may be. Ortho said my BMD looks good overall and this specific fracture occurs with long term use.

Had I known more, I would probably still have used the Zometa---but would have stopped at 5 years---rather than continuing for another year and a half. There is no appreciable benefit on density after 5 years.

Because of all this--I'm off an AI now also. Onc thinks maybe a break will be a good thing. We will revisit going back on Arimidex at some point.

So for the first time in 8 1/2 years I'm off all cancer meds. Feels pretty good, but a little scary. I firmly believe that continuing an AI for 10 years or maybe even more will prove to be the best course for BC patients who like me are triple positive.

Live and Learn----which is exactly what we are all trying to do. So I hope that my misfortune with my legs will be info others can benefit from.

Thanks for all your well wishes!
Left mast .9cm tumor 5 of 14 nodes
Triple Positive
4 DD A/C
12 Taxol/Herceptin
33Rads
Strange infect mast site one year aft surg, hosp 1 wk
Herceptin for total of 18 months
Lupron Monthly 4 yrs
Neurontin for aches, pains and hot flashes(It works!)
Ovaries removed 11/09 stop Lupron and Neurontin
Arimidex 6 yrs (tried Femara, no SE improvement)
Tried Exemestane-hips got so bad could hardly walk
Back to Arimidex for year seven
Zometa 2X Annual for 7years, Lasix
Stop Arimidex 5/13
Stop Zometa 7/13-Bi-lateral Stress Fractures in Femurs from Zometa
5/14 Start Tamoxifen
3/15 Stem cell transplant to stimulate femur bone growth/healing
5/15 Complete fracture of right femur/Titanium rods both femurs
9/16 Start Evista stopTamoxifen
3/17 Stop Evista--unwelcome side effects!
NED and no meds.......
14YEARS NED!
sassy is offline   Reply With Quote