View Single Post
Old 07-28-2016, 02:05 PM   #9
Morgan

Re: Anybody taken tamoxifen after 10years of arimidex?

Thanks for the replies.

Carol Ann, by the time you get to 10 years out there will more data available looking at the use of AI for 10+ years. I was very fortunate that AI were just being used here in Scotland when I was diagnosed in 2005 and also herceptin was becoming available for primary breast cancer so yes I was lucky to have them both but as far as AI goes there's not enough data about to say if 10 or 15 years is worth doing. I'm just not sure about taking tamoxifen.

Jacqueline, you sound just like my husband!! I was diagnosed in June 2005 age 45, I was Her2+++ and highly ER+, grade 2, one lymph node positive and 2.75cm. I had a bilateral mastectomy (my decision due to strong family history) followed by 4 Epirubicen, 4 weeks radiotherapy then 4 Taxotere. I finished my chemo in Feb 2006 and stated herceptin in June 2006. I appreciate all you are saying regarding unknown risks of long term use of AI, I just get so stressed out with the thought of recurrence, I think the fact I lost my mum to BC when I was16 and she was only 48 doesn't help even though I know we now live in a completely different cancer world :-) I also watch my diet, exercise and have never really drank alcohol.

Becky, if your onc has any thoughts please let me know. At the hospital I attend endocrine therapy is managed by the surgeons and not the oncologists. My surgeon is also a research professor and regularly gives talks in the US 5 or 6 times per year and is very highly thought of. I have never doubted him in the past but the word tamoxifen sent me into a panic :-( I just remembered years ago that Her2 and tamoxien didn't get on! Do you know anything about this? He also said the Her2 risk would be past now as it tends to recur earlier, have you also heard this?

Tricia, it has taken me so long to type this that you have also replied! He did say to finish the arimidex that I had so I have another couple of months worth to make up my mind and a few more people to contact. I will let you know what I find out.

Anyway thanks again and sorry for the long post but I am just a bit confused and stressed!!
Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote