View Single Post
Old 10-16-2013, 04:15 AM   #29
R.B.

Re: Iodine deficiency ! - falling intakes - goitregens - competition bromine and fluo

^Ooooooch CarolineC; Please feel free to rant ; each one of these is a mini rant on my part because in outline this is all basic essential wisdom of life that we should learn in school onwards . . .

Cooking of goitrogenic foods

It is often suggested that cooking reduces the goitrogenic effects of foods, and I have seen that stated often and unwisely assumed it to be true: as often the case, the science suggests things are not that simple.

The papers here would suggest the reality is that some foods retain at least some of their effect even in those that have an 'adequate' iodine or were given extra iodine, and that in some instances the goitrogenic effect may even be stronger after cooking; and more scarily that some have very powerful goitrogenic effect in even the likely well nourished.

This abstract suggests we cannot afford to simply ignore goitrogenic effects of foods; unfortunately much more research is as ever needed. Clearly what is reported below may be a particular property of pickled soy, but it does make the point, and maybe explain why it is generally reported that traditional soy foods are generally fermented, which I have often read reduces the goitrogens in soy (but not seen any papers), but others suggest fermentation does not reduce the goitrogenic content (and I still have not found any papers).

"The most powerful evidence of soy's adverse effects on the adult thyroid emerged from a study carried out at the Ishizuki Thyroid Clinic in Japan. Dr. Yoshimochi Ishizuki of Aichi Medical University demonstrated that 30 grams of pickled soybeans per day, given to healthy adult men and women, induced thyroid disruptions in only 30 days. All subjects consumed seaweed daily to
ensure adequate iodine intake." (p 320)

"Soy eaters are at risk for thyroid damage not only because of the goitrogens in soy but also because phytates contribute to zinc deficiency and an "anti-vitamin factor" results in greater needs of the body for vitamin B-12." (pp 322-3)"

http://iodineresearch.com/goitrogens_food_pg1.html

Last edited by R.B.; 10-17-2013 at 07:47 AM..
R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote