View Single Post
Old 12-20-2010, 07:28 PM   #1
DancerDonna

New research on herceptin?

I was diagnosed with HER2neu +breast cancer the 2nd time in June. The first time was five years ago, +++; this time the tumor was only 1 mm so the lab could diagnose it as HER2neu but didn't know how strongly +. The first tumor was strongly + for estrogen and progesterone; the 2nd negative for progesterone and only 5% + for estrogen.

I can only hope I have no positive lymph nodes. I wanted repeat sentinel node biopsy, but only got the technia injection the day before mastectomy. The general surgeon doing the mastectomy skipped the blue dye injection because my plastic surgeon asked her to in the OR. He expressed a concern for the risk of necrosis in my transplanted tissue for reconstruction.

I just got a port again today. My oncologist's plan is for herceptin for only 6 months. I would like to take it for a year again. Does anyone know of recent research or data to support a year of herceptin? If a positive node had been identified, I'd be taking it for a year as well as 3 months of taxatere.

Please post if you know of supporting research or data. Thanks!!
stage IIA, L. breast 1.6 cm ductal carcinoma, E+, Pr+, HER2+, 5/12/05; lumpectomy, chemo: adriamycin & cytoxin 4 x 3 wk., taxol 12 x 1 wk., herceptin 1 yr., rads, arimadex started 2/06 & still taking; sentinel node biopsy: 1st node had 1.5 cm tumor broken out of encapsulation & 2nd had microscopic cells, 3rd was clear. Lymphedema in L. arm & hand 6/06 caused by breast infection caused by breast leaking seroma thru nipple.
New ductal carcinoma tumor 6/21/10 in l. breast again with insitu. Size of tumor estimated at 1 mm from biopsy on 6/21 & breast MRI on 6/25. HER2+ again but only 5% E+ & Pr-. Mastectomy & SIEA or DIEP flap procedure with another sentinel node biopsy planned for early Sept.
DancerDonna is offline   Reply With Quote