View Single Post
Old 08-12-2006, 01:56 PM   #4
Val Pfeiffer

hi Astrid--
I have worked with data on and off over the years, and I want to offer my "two cents worth." I was thinking that you might want ask these questions a bit differently. The way they are currently worded, many people will be able to choose several of them, and people will be forced to select one, even though two or more may apply to them. For example, someone may be stage 4 currently, but can also answer yes to "was originally stage 1" and "did your cancer metastasize." With the current questions, you will not be able to draw any useful conclusions from your data. If I understand correctly the points you are trying to measure, in order to get accurate data, you may want to consider asking the questions something like this:

(ask the first three questions...are you currently stage 1 2 or 3)

* I am stage 4 and was originally diagnosed as stage 4

* I am stage 4, my cancer started out as stage 0, and metastisized less than one year later.

* I am stage 4, my cancer started out as stage 0, and metastisized one to two years later.

* I am stage 4, my cancer started out as stage 0, and metastisized between two and four years later

* I am stage 4, my cancer started out as stage 0, and metastisized five or more years later

* I am stage 4, my cancer started out as stage 1, and metastisized less than one year later.

* I am stage 4, my cancer started out as stage 1, and metastisized one to two years later.

* I am stage 4, my cancer started out as stage 1, and metastisized between two and four years later

* I am stage 4, my cancer started out as stage 1, and metastisized five or more years later

* I am stage 4, my cancer started out as stage 2, and metastisized less than one year later

* I am stage 4, my cancer started out as stage 2, and metastisized one to two years later

* I am stage 4, my cancer started out as stage 2, and metastisized between two and four years later

* I am stage 4, my cancer started out as stage 2, and metastisized five or more years later

* I am stage 4, my cancer started out as stage 3, and metastisized less than one year later

* I am stage 4, my cancer started out as stage 3, and metastisized one to two years later

* I am stage 4, my cancer started out as stage 3, and metastisized between two and four years later

* I am stage 4, my cancer started out as stage 3, and metastisized five or more years later

I think I covered all the possibilities...might have missed something, but you'll see the pattern. By allowing the respondent to select their specific situation, you will get better ionfo. Hopefully that makes sense.

Good luck with the data--I think this will be worthwhile info :-)
Val
3 months weekly Herceptin, Taxol. Carboplatin
Significant tumor shrinkage
Mastectomy 3/05; Stage 3b, 9 cm tumor, 5/8+ nodes
3 more months weekly Herceptin, Taxol. Carboplatin
7/05 30 radiation treatments, IMRT planning approach
Started 1 year of Herceptin 9/05
9/06 Began quarterly triple doses Herceptin. Brain & breast MRIs semi annually.

6/08 Right breast, intraductal carcinoma, high nuclear grade associated with comedo necrosis; extensive diffusely involved the entire biopy specimen. ER+, PR-, Her2 unknown at this point, 07/08 mastectomy.

Last edited by Val Pfeiffer; 08-12-2006 at 02:00 PM..