View Single Post
Old 04-26-2013, 05:48 PM   #24
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Why i take supplements -- WE NEED TO BE ECLECTIC...!

Feeding your Soul / Spirit is as important as taking supplements. Which means giving yourself the gift of -- seeing yourself IN VIVID DETAIL far far far into the future!!!!!!!!! Using VISUALIZATION as Jackie mentions is part of the recipe for success w/canser. Your posts are fabulous, Jackie. So much good stuff. Please -- KEEP IT COMING!!!

I have been using this Guided Imagery technique since '98 -- seeing myself at my then 2 year old first grandchild's Bat Mitzvah (which occurs on your 13th Bday).

I am past the services, at the celebration. I'm standing and clapping with all in attendance, as Josie enters the dance floor. I am surrounded by my husband and family and friends. Radiant. I look great. (If you're going to visualize, you better believe you should be glowingly beautiful, from deep down inside out!)

I LIVED THE DREAM, and then some... My granddaughter is now 16!!!!!!!!!

Elaine -- please update us. I know you take lots of supplements, but were considering more. Did you ever run any by your onc??

Denise -- gosh, I am totally aware of alllllll you are going through, but was still wondering how the hot flashing was going with the Evening Primrose Oil. You should have at least that not to worry about. In fact, I was searching for your latest update. Did I miss it? I think of your witty and wonderful Self all the time!!! Honestly!

I'm presently reading OUTLIVING CANCER -- Cancer Doesn't Grow Too Much, IT DIES TOO LITTLE & Why That Matters (Robert A. Nagourney, MD). I am only 1/4 of the way through and I am quite motivated to keep returning to it when I catch a moment. Fascinating read.

This onc is all about eliminating chemoresistance! You know how I tout CAM -- complimentary alternative medicine...

He believes that cancer is a metabolic disease; a metabolic disorder, a disease of changed energy production. That heart health equals cancer prevention. That appropriate management of blood lipids and maintenance of blood sugar are key.

Exercise induces changes in cellular physiology, effects bone density and well-being associated w/endorphin release which has a profound influence on cellular metabolism.

He speaks of psycho-neuro-immunology (one of its' father Hans Selve, MD) which our Brenda introduced me to many years ago and I readily embraced. It made such sense! Emotional stress causing disability, adrenal hypertrophy, gastric ulceration, immune deficiency -- all byproducts of chronic stress.

The close association between the sympathetic nervous system, the hypotalmic-pituitary-adrenal axis, the disruption of momeostasis that can PREDISPOSE HUMANS TO SUCH VARIED ILLNESSNES AS CARDIOVASCULAR DISEASE, PARKINGSON'S DISEASE, THE METABOLOIC SYNDROME -- AND CANCER.

In answer to Europa's quest for an integrative doc, Jackie mentioned Dr. Keith Block. Well Dr. Nagourney who wrote this book I am raving about, also speaks of Dr. Block, Medical Director, Block Center for Integrated Cancer Treatment and Director of Integrated Medical Education, University of Illinois College of Medicine. HE IS STATED AS DEFINING A PERSON'S SUCCESSFUL RESPONSE TO ILLNESS AS THE INTERSECTION OF IMPROVED LIFESTYLE, BOOSTING BIOLOGIC COMPETENCE (DOES THAT MEAN SUPPLEMENTS AND EATING HABIT????) AND ENHANCING TREATMENT OPTIONS. REDUCTION OF OXIDATIVE STRESS AND INFLAMMATION.

As Dr. Christiane Northrup says, All bodily dysfunction begins with inflammation!!!

WE MUST BE ECLECTIC. ELECTICISM, THE CAPACITY TO DRAW UPON DISPARATE DISCIPLINES, IS THE WAY TO SUCCESS.

Dr. Nagourney says, I given conventional treatments unconventionally and give unconventional treatments conventionally. Hmmm...

Einstein told us that, "What you cannot see can be".

Dr. Nagourney has had over 20 years experience. During his medical oncology fellowship at Georgetopwn University, he confronted aggressive malignancies for which the standard therapies remained highly unsatisfactory. Responding to an unmet need, he pioneered the development of PERSONALIED CANCER THERAPY, applying a laboratory platform to match patients to therapies based on their unique response profiles. FUNCTIONAL PROFILING in human tumors is his thing.

I have a list of docs he recommends in Huntington Beach, Calif, Greenwich, Ct, NYC, Phoenix, Az, Mesa, Az, San Francisco, Calif, Portola Valley, Calif -- for anyone who lives anywhere near there or is willing and able to travel there. Please, just ask...
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote