View Single Post
Old 12-22-2007, 07:47 AM   #10
tousled1

Herceptin reconstituted with Sterile Water

I want to clarify the reconstitution of Herceptin since I have mine reconstituted with sterile water. Because of this I must have my Herceptin every 3 weeks since they would have to discard the unused portion since they receivce the Herceptin powder in a 3 weeks dose. If you can get your insurance company to pay for the reconstitution with sterile water on a weely basis more power to you -- my insurance company wouldn't authorize it as it meant money going down the drain. I also recevie my Herceptin with a bag of saline water on the side.

This infomration is directly from the Boxed warning:

The doctor's office recives the Herceptin in powder form. Each vial of Herceptin should be reconstituted with 20 mL of BWFI, USP, 1.1% benzyl alcohol preserved, as supplied, to yield a multi‑dose solution containing 21 mg/mL Trastuzumab. The reconstituted preparation results in a colorless to pale yellow transparent solution. Parenteral drug products should be inspected visually for particulates and discoloration prior to administration. Reconstituted Herceptin must be discarded after 28 days.

Use of diluents other than BWFI should be avoided unless contraindicated. For patients with known hypersensitivity to benzyl alcohol, Herceptin must be reconstituted with Sterile Water for Injection; discard any unused portion

I hope this information helps.
Neoadjunct chemo: 4 A/C; 4 Taxatore
Bilateral mastectomy June 8, 2006
14 of 26 nodes positive
Herceptin June 22, 2006 - April 20, 2007
Radiation (X35) July 24-September 11, 2006
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
Stage IV lung mets July 13, 2007 - TCH
Single brain met - August 6, 2007 -CyberKnife
Oct 2007 - clear brain MRI and lung mets shrinking.
March 2008 lung met progression, brain still clear - begin Tykerb/Xeloda/Ixempra
tousled1 is offline   Reply With Quote